Anvisningar masterprogrammet i fri konst med inriktning mot forskningsförberedande studier
Deadlines and general information about applications to the Master of Fine Arts Programme in Artistic Research at Malmö Art Academy
Deadline 1 March 2023 for applications including
- Submitted application at https://www.universityadmissions.se
Double check that ALL your relevant grades are uploaded here.
- Uploading of research proposal in the Malmö Art Academy application portal
Register at https://www.khm.lu.se/en/application-programmes and upload:
- Research proposal including a research question
- Presentation of artistic practise
- Motivation letter describing why you are applying to Malmö Art Academy
- Letter of recommendation (one is a minimum but two are preferable)
- Supporting documents including samples of artistic work (relevant appendices, photographs, videos and/or sound files)
You need to complete both steps in order for your application to be processed.
Deadline 7 March 2023 for supplementary documents
- Send in the correct documentation – see general instructions at www.universityadmissions.sePlease note that some documentation may be uploaded while other need to be submitted by post. Read the country specific instructions carefully!
- Note that citizens of other countries than Sweden must prove the exemption from tuition fees by uploading a copy of their passport or other valid proof of citizenship - see general instructions at https://www.universityadmissions.se/en/fees-scholarships-residence-permit/
NB! This also applies to citizens of the Nordic countries!
- Pay the application fee if required! Read more about it at: https://www.universityadmissions.se/en/fees-scholarships-residence-permit/
Interviews during week 15 (notice to attend by phone call or e-mail)
Interviews will be held online: 13-15 April 2023.
Decision on admissions no later than week 20
Semester dates 2023/2024
Autumn semester 2023: 28 August 2023 – 14 January 2024
Spring semester 2024: 15 January 2024 – 2 June 2024
Instructions about Application
The purpose of the MFAAR programme is to prepare visual artists to define and formulate a research proposal in Fine Arts that aims at admission to a doctoral program in Fine Arts. For the application process the candidate should submit a research proposal in Fine Arts including research question and letter of motivation.
Applications to the Master of Fine Arts in Artistic Research programme at Malmö Art Academy take place in two steps. First on Universityadmissions.se and then in the Malmö Art Academy application portal where the research proposal can be uploaded.
You need to complete both steps in order for your application to be processed.
- Application at Universityadmissions.se
Visit www.universityadmissions.se and follow the instructions carefully. In order to find the programme quickly, enter programme code LU-82602 in the search field. Do not forget to choose Autumn 2023 as an option.
Double check that ALL your relevant grades are uploaded here, including those from preparatory schools.
You will receive a confirmation of your application by email. This confirmation will include an application number. Please save your confirmation!
Take note of your application number and continue with the second step (see below). You need to fill in the application number in the electronic application form in step 2 in order to link your application at Universityadmissions.se with the research proposal you upload in the Malmö Art Academy application portal.
- Upload your research proposal in the Malmö Art Academy application portal
You need to register in the Malmö Art Academy application portal in order to upload your research proposal: https://www.khm.lu.se/en/education/programmes-0/masters-programme-fine-arts-artistic-research-mfaar-120-credits
When you have registered as an applicant you will receive an email including login information and a registration number. Note that this registration number is different from the one you received at http://www.universityadmissions.se/. In the email you receive there is a link to an electronic application form in which you fill in your complete personal details and attach the research proposal. The research proposal is 1-2 pages with a research question and artistic research proposal that describes your focus during the two-year programme.
The application must include a text with a presentation of your artistic practise and a motivation letter. In the letter of motivation, you describe why you are applying to Malmö Art Academy. The application must also include at least one, but preferably two, letters of recommendation from teachers or tutors from previous art schools. The application can be accompanied by other relevant supplementary documents like texts related to your artistic work, samples of your artistic work (photographs, videos and/or sound files, context, background data or ideas) etc.
All supporting documentation is to be scanned and uploaded in the application form.
NB! This does not refer to the formal grade transcripts, certificates, documents etc already uploaded or sent to University Admissions (see step 1).
If you wish to upload supplementary documentation like photographs, videos and/or sound files in connection to your research proposal please read the following instructions.
A. General instructions
- An application must contain an uploaded research proposal, a text with a presentation of your artistic practise, a motivation letter and relevant supplementary appendices.
- A completed online application including the research proposal is to be uploaded in the Malmö Art Academy application portal after registration at https://www.khm.lu.se/en/application-programmes. Remember that all supplementary documentation must be well documented and accompanied by a detailed description.
- If you choose to upload work samples note that all work samples need to be described in terms of a title, material, dimensions and year.
B. Technical instructions for digital supplementary documentation
- Each digital sample can be documented with a maximum of 5 photographs, videos and/or sound files.
- Accepted file formats:
- Pictures: JPG/JPEG
- Video: MP4/MPEG4
- NB! Applicants are responsible for the proper functioning of digital samples.
- State title, material, dimensions, year and length (minutes) for video/sound.
- Installations need to be documented as fully as possible.
- Video should be uploaded as MP4 (MPEG4).
- Largest size 1 GB per film, max 1080p
- If you apply with video works, the selection committee wants to see the whole work and not just extracts.
- For long video works, we would appreciate if you would attach a brief synopsis.
- Must be submitted as JPG. Largest recommended size is 2 MB.
- Must be submitted as MP3, WAV or AIFF.
Make sure that your application is filled in correctly. Changes can be made online until 24.00 on the last day of applications. Please check that you have:
- Submitted an application at www.universityadmissions.se and received an email confirming your application?
- Uploaded or sent all required supporting documentation to University Admissions?
- If you are a citizen of another country than Sweden: uploaded or sent in sent in a copy of your passport or other valid or other valid proof of citizenship in order to prove your exemption from tuition fees?
- If required - paid the application fee https://www.universityadmissions.se/en/fees-scholarships-residence-permit/
- Chosen the right application form in the Malmö Art Academy application portal?
- Bachelor of Fine Arts programme (180 credits)
- Master of Fine Arts programme (120 credits)
- Master of Fine Arts in Artistic Research programme (120 credits)
- Registered the application number you received from Universityadmissions.se, in the electronic application form in the Malmö Art Academy application portal?
- Provided your complete contact information, including your phone number, mobile number and email address?
- Uploaded your research proposal including a research question?
- Enclosed a text with a presentation of your artistic orientation and your research proposal (supplementary documentation including samples of artistic work, context, background data or ideas, etc.).
- Enclosed a motivation letter describing why you are applying to Malmö Art Academy?
- Enclosed at least one letter of recommendation from teachers or tutors at previous art schools.
- Enclosed other relevant supporting documentation that you wish to refer to?
- Made a note of your registration number (received when registered in the Malmö Art Academy application portal)?
- Make sure that your supplementary documentation comply with the instructions. State title, material, dimensions, year and length (minutes) for video/sound.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR APPLICATION!